Bobo de Camarao
3 lbs medium size shrimp
3 lbs cassava (manioc), peeled and chopped
6 medium tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped or 2 large cans of diced
2 cups of coconut milk
Juice of 1 lime
1 red pepper
1 green pepper
1 bay leaf
¼ cup azeite de dende (palm oil)
½ cup olive oil
1 garlic glove, crushed
3 medium onions, shredded
6 sprigs of Parsley, 6 sprigs onions
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Clean the shrimp and marinate them with salt, pepper and
the limejuice for an hour.
2. Cook the cassava in water with 1 chopped onion and 1 bay leaf for
approximately 30 minutes or until tender. Reserve some of the water.
3. Add 1 cup of coconut milk to the cooked cassava and blend the mixture.
If the mixture is too thick, add a little of the reserved water from
cooking the cassava.
4. Heat the olive oil on medium heat; add 2 onions, 1 clove of garlic,
sprigs of parsley, spring onions and tomatoes. Cook for about 5
minutes. Add the shrimp and the coriander. Let simmer over low heat for
some minutes (10 to 15 minutes. Salt to taste.
5. In a large saucepan stir in the cassava, the shrimp sauce, one cup of
coconut milk and keep stirring until the mix acquires a good consistency.
Add the azeite de dende (palm oil), stir quickly and remove from heat.
6. Serve over white rice (arroz branco).